Slider Image 1 Content
Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
Learn how to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to the latest version of iOS—wirelessly or using iTunes.
You can update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to the latest version of iOS wirelessly. If you can’t see the update on your device, you can update manually using iTunes.
Before you update
Please make sure that you make a backup of your device using iCloud or iTunes before upgrading your version of the iOS on your Apple Device.
Update your device wirelessly
If a message says that an update is available, tap Install Now. You can also follow these steps:
- Plug your device into power and connect to the Internet with WiFi to download the upgrade.
- Tap Settings > General > Software Update.
- Tap Download and Install. If a message asks to temporarily remove apps because iOS needs more space for the update, tap Continue or Cancel.
- Later, iOS will reinstall apps that it removed.
- To update now, tap Install. Or you can tap Later and choose Install Tonight or Remind Me Later.
- If you tap Install Tonight, just plug your iOS device into power before you go to sleep. Your device will update automatically overnight.
- If asked, enter your pass-code. If you don’t know your pass-code.
If you see an error or need more space when updating:
- You see an error message while trying to update your device wirelessly.
- If you need more space for a wireless update, you can update using iTunes or delete content manually from your device. Whether you use iTunes or update wirelessly, you’ll have the same amount of free space on your device after you update.
- Some iOS software updates aren’t available wirelessly. VPN or proxy connections might prevent your device from contacting the iOS update servers.
- If the Upgrade is stuck and not progressing.
- If the phone shuts down and does not turn back on.
- If you think that the upgrade is not proceeding as it should.
Update your device using iTunes
If you can’t update wirelessly on your iOS device, you can update manually using iTunes on a computer that you trust. If your computer is using Personal Hotspot on the iOS device that you’re updating, connect your computer to a different Wi-Fi or Ethernet network before you update.
- Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer.
- Connect your device to your computer.
- Open iTunes and select your device.
- Click Summary, then click Check for Update.
- Click Download and Update.
- If asked, enter your passcode.